Friday 9 August 2013

Best Served Chilled...

I do enjoy these visitors in the asylum. How they get in is beyond me. How they get out again... thats their problem. Today, i have Zoe. She's nice. Just so you know. 

What’s your name?
My full name is Zoe Victoria Adams, but I only get called that when I’m in trouble. I write under Zoe Adams.
 
Ok Zoe Victoria (you’re in the asylum – you’re in trouble now!).  Where are you from?
I’m from Cleethorpes in North East Lincolnshire. I’ve lived here all my life, but I was born on the Nunsthorpe Estate in Grimsby.
 
Oohhh, the Nunsthorpe.  I was born on the Grange.  Mortal enemies!  Do you like living there?  If not, where would your favourite place to live be?  Is yes, where would you least like to live?
I quite like Cleethorpes when it’s quiet. Everything is in reach and it’s not far to travel further afield. When it’s summer and the sun is shining, it’s a death trap for tourists because we’re a seaside town. You can’t get to where you want to be.
I’d least like to live in the big cities like London. Things are too busy and touches of claustrophobia settle in. I do like London, for its theatre shows and big shopping stores like Forbidden Planet and Tokyo Toys, but I don’t think I could live there all the time.
 
Cleethorpes is definitely like that.  A lovely place but gets rammed when there’s a hint of shame.  That’s why people who live there go to Skegness!  As for London, it’s as busy at 11pm as it is at 11am.  Too much for me.  I’d end up in a mental... oh... hold on...  If you’re a writer, is this your ‘day job’?
I can officially say now since the release on my first book on 30th May 2013, (Best Served Chilled) that I am a professional writer. Sadly, I do not earn enough to live on and have it as a ‘day job’. I’ve just finished university, where I studied BA (Hons) Professional Writing and I also freelance for various websites.
 
Sounds great.  Well done on the BA.  I know a person who could benefit from that, but don’t tell him I said so...  Tell me about your latest project.
My latest project… Well that’s a conundrum as I have a few things I’m working on. I’m writing the second book in a series (so far titled Best Served Within) and I’m around 4,000 words in thus far.
Another project I’m working on is lead scriptwriter on an independent zombie film, with plenty of comedy, drama, guns and girls, so far titled Zombie Squad
 
Zombies.  Nice.  I wonder if you believe in the existence of anything supernatural like that?  How do you feel about bacon?  A crazy person once said it was the food of the gods.  OK, I admit that person was myself...
I don’t understand how people cannot like bacon! It’s delicious – especially between two pieces of thick bread and tomato sauce. Mmm…
 
Exactly my point of view.  Except you just spoiled it with the tomato sauce.  What is your favourite film?
Labyrinth (1986) starring David Bowie. I’ve been in love with this film since I was in secondary school. Bowie is a beautiful man, and the film is filled with catchy songs. It’s pure fantasy and I can relate to Sarah’s character in such a way, it scares me. The plot is fantastic! Reading Labyrinth fan fictions in my teen years really impacted what sort of fiction I like now and how I write. I own a lot of merchandise from the film, the most expensive being the paperback novelisation, which went out of print in the 80’s. It cost me over £40 and is still in the cellophane wrapping.
 
A great choice.  The only bit I didn’t like was those things where those things take their heads off and play foodtball with them.  I don’t know what went wrong with the effects there, but it seemed out of place with the rest of the film and the song was annoying.  Brilliant film otherwise.  Love the ‘Allo’ worm and Hobble and everything.  Have you always wanted to be a writer, or is it something you found yourself doing one day?
I’ve always been writing, but when I was a child I wanted to be: a fairy, a cat, a princess, a pop star, an actress and a teacher. The only fiction I would write would be fan fiction, and when I wrote it with anime characters, it caught my partner’s attention and told me to apply for a Professional Writing Course. I haven’t looked back or stopped writing since.
 
And the literary world can thank your partner.  How’s the plans on being a fairy or cat going?  Do you have so many ideas they dribble out of your nose if you don’t get them down, or do you have to hunt around the floor and the back of your sofa to find where your Muse is hiding?
The ideas don’t stop. I need a bucket to catch them all. I have multiple notepads with started ideas and notes all over my bedroom. My phone at one point was filled with drafts of started fiction. Some days, I feel as though I can’t write. That’s when my Muse is tied up and tortured until it agrees to co-operate with me.
 
Oh, you have a Muse like that too, hmmm?  Sneaky sods, ain’t they!  If you were in an asylum, what would your particular delusion or psychosis be?
An author once told me that writing is akin to mental illness, so I’d say its depression. I suffer with a lot of negative thoughts and though I surround myself with supportive and creative types, it all gets a little tough. It’s why I write. To survive.
 
Apparently, I’m a form of therapy to a similar person.  Can’t understand it myself.  What genre(s) do you write?
I primarily write paranormal and urban fantasy fiction, but have no aversions to crime, erotica, horror, romance and science fiction. I’ve found that the more I read outside the typical genres, I want to try my hand at something new.
 
You’re not limiting yourself there, then!  What genres(s) do you read?
I read anything I can my hands on. The last books I read in the genres specified were:
o        Paranormal/urban fantasy – Sword of Darkness by Kinley MacGregor.
o        Crime – The Other Half Lives by Sophie Hannah.
o        Erotica – Beauty’s Release by Anne Rice.
o        Horror – The Ghosts of Sleath by James Herbert
o        Romance – Alphabet Weekends by Elizabeth Noble
o        Science fiction – Across the Universe by Beth Revis
 
Great choices.  If these are the same, what attracts you to them? If they’re different, why do you think that is?
I’m attracted to anything with a good plot and action that keeps you going. If it’s a crime novel, I want to keep guessing and play ‘detective’. Characters who are flawed and with devilishly sexy men. I think this comes from the fan fictions I read in my teens – some more X-rated than others.
 
Bacon – just cooked or crispy?
Crispy. No other way. I love my bacon that way! At the university atrium, the staff knew that in a bacon, sausage and egg bap, my bacon would be crispy.
 
How else?  These people who don’t get that should be burned at the stake till they’re nice and crispy!  That’d show ‘em!  Now you’re in the asylum with me, how do you aim to get out?  Do you have an escape plan?
Well, that’s where being a woman comes in handy. I’d use my womanly wiles to confound the staff and persuade them to set me free. I can be a pretty good actress when the situation calls for it.
And if that doesn’t work, I suppose I could use a blade of some kind…
 
Well, your womanly wiles may get unwanted attention.  I say go with the blade, and I’m not a violent man – ignoring the deaths!
 
-
 

The following excerpt is from Chapter Five of ‘Best Served Chilled’, published by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Press.
 
Above her, the shōjō began to glow a brilliant red. His skin bubbled, as he pulled her energy into him. He drank in her nightmares, fears, hopes and dreams. Jealousies from childhood rose to the surface.
Stronger and stronger, the shōjō grew. This had to be the most satisfied he had felt in such a long time. True it was a shame her old man had to die, but at least he’d been happy for a short while.
And now to find his affections after all these years… Oh he couldn’t have wished for anything as sweet as this. Father like daughter. And the corruption was ever so easy.
These little humans were his idea of fun. They were the perfect toys; fun for hours and so easy to break. With the right beverage, he just had to seek them out. Other demons might sneer at his profession but he didn’t have a care in the world. Especially right this second.
-
 
Zoe can be found brightening the internet at the following places.  She’s also a delightful person and friend!  Not only that, Zoe is the inspiration for my Dark Places collection and I owe her my thanks. 
 
books available)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment